Sunday, August 27, 2006

Hi, there, folks. Some BG for starters...

Well, those who have followed my posts to the Great Work Yahoo group will know about some of the things I've been doing, but for those others, here's a summary.:

I have been researching the Western Mystery Tradition for some time recently, after having been away from it for some years. When I was a teenager, I read Paul Christian's History and Practice of Magic, Mathers and Crowley's Lesser Key of Solomon, and some fair amount of Magick in Theory and Practice.
I fell away from the study of the Occult, and into some other practices which were, by and large, not all that good for me, and which I won't go into here.
Despite my best efforts, I survived, got a decent job, got married, had kids, and all that other great stuff.
A twentieth anniversary trip with my wife took us to New Orleans, and that trip reawakened my interest in the occult. Lately, I've studied a lot of the Golden Dawn and Ogdoadic Traditions, and I'm delving into Agrippa, Crowley, and soon to come, into the Grimoires. I've picked up some ideas from Donald Michael Kraig and Phillip Cooper, as well, which got me in contact with some material that originated with A. O. Spare. Chaos Magic seems like it could be an interesting addition to the mix (I know, I know, some people find Chaos Magic distateful, but I'm open to whatever can work for me, and some of the ideas of quantum mechanics get my curiosity going) as well, but I've yet to make a serious study of it.
I know I have to keep in mind that there's a lot of crap out there, too, and New Ageism makes me want to run screaming from the room. Fluffy bunnies are not my style.

Also, I should point out that my wife is a witch. She sometimes says she's a bad witch, when she doesn't do something she says she was supposed to do, but all in all, she's a pretty good one to bounce ideas off of. Anyway, I think she's a good witch.

There's some short intro. Next post, some specific dirt on what I'm doing now.

No comments: