
For all who may be new to what I'm doing:
I recently decided that, although I have a decent job, I really need a better one. My current job pays pretty damn well, but is extremely stressful. Anyway, I thought I'd try out a little sigil magic to try to change things for the better.
I also thought I'd try out an idea that's been kicking around in my head for a while. Rather than try to design one big magical working with a specifically (and elaborately) stated goal in mind, and then try to find the exact power to enlist to bring about that exact goal, I figured I'd enlist a range of powers, all working within their own spheres of influence, and let my goal fall into the place where their influences overlap.
The idea here is that the goal is stated in more general terms, and the charges are made in a way that leaves each power or group of powers with a range of possiblities that would fulfil the goal. However, in order for all the powers to do their tasks, only one, or only a very few, of those possibilities will work. Somewhere in all the possibilities that the powers dig up, there's one that makes everyone's job done.
OK, so first, I need to figure out the goal and make a sigil.
Step one: easy. I NEED A BETTER JOB.
Concise, no? What's "better?" That all depends, I guess...
I'm going to work with a few powers on this:
Mercury, because these powers tend to work fairly quickly, and my job has a high "head" component. I'm pretty good at that, so, let's stick with it. Sometimes my job, though stressful in a lot of ways, otherwise doesn't challenge my thinking or creative abilities, and "better," to the Powers of Mercury, will most likely be more interesting, so Mercury is a good bet here.
Jupiter, for prosperity and some modicum of authority or control over what I do. More money isn't at the top of my "I want" list, but wouldn't it be nice? Besides, some more control over my life is high on my list; that definitely rates as "better" to me, and it's a nice fit with Jupiter.
Venus, for the artistically creative side, money, again (wouldn't it be nice? To some extent money=choice in today's society, and choice is good to me), and enjoyment. A "better" job should be pleasing to me.
In addition, I'm holding in reserve Air (intellectual creativity) and Earth (money again, and substance).
Ok, I said that money isn't at the top of the list, but I've got a lot of Powers aimed at it. Why is that?
Well, there is a slight imbalance in the Powers that I need to address. At the time that I need to be doing these workings, Mercury is in his dignity (in Virgo), and Venus and Jupiter are in no special place at all.
Mercury and Venus both rule Air and Earth, so I'm able to bring these in if I need to address any "business" between these two. I could also use the Air painting for work with the Sun, if needed, the Sun being in conjunction with Mercury throughout this period.
Ok, next, make the sigil paintings. I designed the sigil itself on a character generator where I work, and I emailed myself a .jpeg of the output. I could have used Photoshop or any other art program that can handle type, as well. Once I had the design, I printed it out as a poster on four sheets of letter paper, then joined them together to make a single image. I mounted that on a piece of cardstock, and, using an X-acto knife, cut a stencil out of the stock. I had to use tape to hold the interior parts of the stencil, and then had to move the tape when I needed to paint under it.

The first painting was of the Jupiter sigil. Truth be told, I had originally planned to do a working with just this, and then thought better (!) of it. Anyway, this didn't do the stencil much good, so for the following paintings, I used the cutout, which came out in one piece, to make an outline of the sigil on the canvas or painting panels.
Anyway, I did a "preliminary" working with the Jupiter painting to see what it would be like to work with it, and how I would use it in a ritual setting. I didn't do any special invocations, or set my table in any special way, I just intoned the mantra derived from the same phrase I used to make the sigil.
INDARJO BETEEBET. That is the mantra for this painting, and the beginning of the title of the painting. Around this time, I decided that each painting would have a name that started with an anagram of I NEED A BETTER JOB. I did the other planetary paintings, Venus and Mercury, and had them standing by. I went to alabe.com and astroloji.net and made "birth charts," or event charts of the days and times of my workings. I have a vacation the week of the workings, so that's convenient. I made charts of the Day of Mercury, Jupiter, and Venus on three out of four of the Planetary Hours for each day ( I left out the 3-ish in the morning hour), and planned out my works.
Then, this just in! A root canal gave me a day off on the Friday before all this, and I then made the decision to to another Venus working. The painting was ready, and I had gotten some things to use as table runners in the appropriate colors.
However, during this ritual, Venus and Jupiter are square with each other, and will work less well together than I'd like. What I'm going to do, because of that, is do two workings with Venus (at least) a week apart (Venus and Jupiter are not square by the week after), and two with Jupiter, to put him in different houses during the workings (these two on the same day). So, now, on to the preparations!
No comments:
Post a Comment